Wednesday 24 February 2010

Ulster Scots Musician - George Douglas Holmes MBE

I first met George Douglas Holmes MBE (Geordie) around 1998, I know who he was and I knew a little about him, however I got to know him a lot better when we met formally at various Ulster Scots Events.
-
Geordie is a wonderful musician, storyteller (none better) singer/song writer and of course, he plays the lambeg drum. He has been around the traditional music scene for many years and is highly respected for his playing ability on the Banjo, Mandolin, Guitar, bodhran, etc and his encyclopedic knowledge of music, tunes and songs.
-
Geordie has performed for me at various Loughries / Ulster Scots events that I have organise in the past and to be honest, I could listen to him time and time again. He likes to play the drum to the fife - with his favourite tune being 'old zip coon' or 'turkey n the straw'.
-
This pencil drawing of George was sketched out by Mr. Billy Neill, another friend of mine during an Ulster Scots musical evening Loughries held in the Town Hall, Newtownards a year or so back. George is a character with worldly image - white hair, white beard so plenty going on for an artist to capture.
-
HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment