Thursday 25 February 2010

Ulster Scots - Lambeg Drums 9

Lt. Colonel R. Blair Mayne: DSO (3 Bars) Legion D'Honneur & Croix De Guerre.

I lived in Newtownards for around 30 years and the name Blair Mayne was synonymous with the town. I lived in an apartment block at Market Street for 5 years and my neighbour was Douglas Mayne, Blair's brother. Douglas was well up in years and a retired dentist. I had the very good fortune to visit on many occasions - as long as I brought a bottle with me! - Douglas would get out old photographs, letters, Mayne Family items, war items belonging to Blair and read to me & tell me stories. These were precious times and I felt it an honour and privilege to be in the presence of such a collection of wonderful items about the great man and of course to hear all the stories at first hand - many of these items were never published.

This drum is a memorial to Blair Mayne and is owned by G. Dale of Loughbrickland.

More can be found about Blair here:- http://www.blairmayne.org/mayne.htm

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment