Thursday 4 February 2010

Ulster Scots & Ards Peninsula Schools - Movilla

Friday - I will be visiting Movilla High School Newtownards, with my colleagues to take part in what we call an all day taster session. The performers / tutors get a classroom each Keith - Fiddle, Matthew - Flute, Guitar - Kerry - Dance, Gary - Language and me Lambeg Drum, Fife & Whistle. The children come to us for 30 minutes, then rotate in to the next class 8 - are scheduled

We explain about the Ulster Scots Culture then talk about musical instruments / tradition and play a few bits and pieces - then get the pupils up to play / have a go on each instrument. These are very interesting and have proven very successful in the past and a useful tool in our armoury.

Movilla have asked me to take 3 x weeks of taster sessions with GCSE pupils, following that a 12 week tuition classes in Lambeg Drum, Fife and if needed whistle. I am a little apprehensive for the first time - why? - Well it is my old school. I was not a model pupil and it feels very strange going back to Movilla after 30 years! My only hope is all my previous teachers have retired or left and no-one recognises me!

Well, that aside I am confident all will go well and in time Lambeg Drumming in Newtownards will stage a renaissance and develop into a thriving tradition once again! - Here's hoping.

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment