Sunday 14 February 2010

Ulster Scots - Lambeg Drums - 1

As I mentioned a few day's ago I intend to post a series of Lambeg Drum photo's.

Well I think it right and proper that I start with my own drum - Prudence!

Brian Jamison my old school friend and talented artist, painted Prudence for me. The top part of the drum has the Bible & Crown with the words 'In God We Trust' The main body of the drum is Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church, my Church in Newtownards - 4 Generations of Andersons have worshiped here and still do.

The drum is named Prudence - why? Prudence was my Grandmother (my Dad's Mother) and she dearly loved the 'Twelfth' so in recognition of her loyalty to and great love of the Orange Institution I named my drum after her!

Prudence is 3ft 3/4 and made by Johnston. I bought the drum from a chap called Gamble from Donacloney in 2000, the drum was a plain shell - I unveiled Prudence in May 2001in Conlig Orange Hall.

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment