Friday 5 February 2010

Ulster Scots & Ards Peninsula Schools - Movilla Visit

Well, it went very, very well at Movilla High School Newtownards today. Keith, Kerry, Matthew and I arrived at the school and met Ms Brown, who showed us to our rooms where we set up our bits 'n' pieces. Between the hours of 1030 - 1220 we hosted 4 x classes each of around 12 - 15 pupils, break for lunch then 4 x classes 20 pupils per class, 1300 - 1510.

The pupils were very interested and took an active part in my fife & lambeg drum work, I was quite surprised that the pupils were quite shy; however they were impeccably well behaved and mannerly. Three of us Keith, Kerry and I have been invited to set up weekly tuition in Fiddle - Dance - Fife & Lambeg Drum so we look forward to that. The children also showed a great interest in Ulster Scots history, so an open door there!

The staffs were terrific throughout the day and hospitality shown to us was wonderful. We had a delicious lunch of tea, coffee, sandwiches, fruit and biscuits.

One of the careers teachers asked me to come and take part in a 'young citizens' workshop - where ex pupils come to the school and discuss their life and careers since leaving school, I was surprised to be asked but willing to help, as long as I don't discuss my school day's!

So, all in all a very worthwhile and successful day for the Ulster Scots Agency - when we are out in the field delivering what we do best promoting and developing the Ulster Scots Tradition and its associated Cultures.

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment