Wednesday 17 August 2011

Lorena

Well folks, I have been back on my tin whistle again, after a several weeks without a tune - here is a beautiful tune I have blogged before and love playing - Lorena.

On this video there are some fantastic photos from American Civil War - battlefields, guns, regiments, sweethearts, graves - oh the futility of war!

In some of the schools where I teach the whistle - I encourage the children to learn this tune (slow version). I tell them the story of the tune, all the sadness of the soldiers leaving their sweethearts behind and why the song was banned by the Generals on both sides, because so many soldiers were running off home to their loved ones.

They are all so very quiet! but it soon becomes a firm favourite with them - oh yes and me!




HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment