Monday 4 January 2010

Sprout - Big Sprout - Sproutie

What's in a name:-

I was in Newtownards today Monday, and I bumped into my old friend Peter Whitla, it has been sometime since we met and he greeted me with a big 'What about you Sproutie'.

Many years ago I was known as Sprout - if you knew me well - Big Sprout if you knew me very well - Sproutie if you were a close friend of mine.

I was 15 and the average size and build then guess what - I began to grow tall, then taller and soon I was the tallest boy at school and the tallest amongst my circle of friends. Hence a friend of mine one evening exclaimed 'hey you have really sprouted up' - yes the name stuck. All throughout my footballing day's at Rosemount Rec Football Club in Greyabbey (Greba) - I was known as Big Sprout. Even if you are in Greyabbey now and you asked someone who Big Sprout was - they would be fit to tell you.

It has been a very long time since I heard me being called Sproutie - I didn't really mind then and I don't really mind now, but it goes to show you that when a name sticks it sticks.

I have been called worse names!

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment