Wednesday 27 January 2010

Bonfire Committee - Ballymena

The Braid Centre Ballymena:- As I previously mentioned in a blog entry I attended the Braid Centre Ballymana, on Tuesday 26th January, with Philip Orr to discuss various aspects of the Protestant traditions, such as traditional music and bonfires.

I must be honest and say I was a little apprehensive as I sat in the room waiting to deliver my presentation on the Fife & Lambeg Drum Tradition. We had expected 12 - 15 people to turn up in fact 35 - 40 arrived and filled the room.

The Braid Centre is a beautiful modern building and although I did not get the opportunity to view the whole building, what I seen was very impressive.

Philip Orr is a very competent, knowledgeable and professional speaker and set the scene for the evening, talking about aspects of the protestant traditions including the significance of bonfires. I gave my presentation which included my PowerPoint and to be honest it went very well, the audience from local Loyalist - Orange - Protestant communities in Ballymena seemed enjoy the talk and fully interacted. There was full engagement from those gathered as we discussed the fife & lambeg drum tradition and its significance with in the Protestant ethos. To conclude 'my bit' we had some fifing and drumming - some of the guy's and girls gathered, were fifers and drummers - so we played a few tunes - 100 pipers, Boy's of Belfast and the Heights of Alma. It went well.

Philip Orr finished with a 20 minute PowerPoint on a bit of history - Hamilton Montgomery - Queen Elizabeth - Spanish Armada - Guy Fawkes - Oliver Cromwell - all interconnected with the theme of Bonfires.

It was a very worthwhile event - I think those who attended went home with some food for thought on the Bonfire issues in 2010. I received several invites to other events that I will consider.

Thanks are extended to Jackie, Jane from Ballymena Council and Philip Orr for the invitation.



HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment