Saturday 16 January 2010

How Did Get Into This

Following on from a previous post regarding my job - Well the Ulster Scots Agency continued to develop ideas and projects in the area of Education and my experience of the Ulster Scots Tradition convinced me that if the Tradition was to flourish / develop a huge investment of time and resources was to be put into the Education sector.

After School Clubs - This was a further realisation for me that the Ulster Scots Agency was moving down the correct avenue. Ulster Scots After School Clubs were being developed in schools throughout Ulster it involved a 10 week 1 afternoon per week where children would stay after school to learn about various aspects of our Ulster Scots Culture. For example music & dance, history, language etc, tutors would visit the schools and provide a workshop on there preferred subject - Mark Anderson Fife & Lambeg Drum, Keith Lyttle Fiddle, Gary Blair Language and so on. My experience of these clubs was very positive - children, parents, teachers, board of governors, principals we all very enthusiastic about this 'new' initiative. Children are just so interested and keen to learn - it is at times overwhelming and many, many times I left the schools with very excited children wanting more and more Ulster Scots. I was getting Paid now - although I was still technically employed in my real job! Getting paid for this work - my hobby was very strange - I had given my time in the past voluntarily without payment.

The next stage was Ulster Scots Peripatetic Music Tutor post - What? Yes, well I looked up the dictionary to see what Peripatetic meant first then I applied for the job as a travelling music tutor. I was successful and began work on 7th November 2008 on a 1 year contract to work as a self employed music tutor for the Ulster Scots Agency!

How I got on will be revealed in a later post along with a few photo's!

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment