Friday 24 June 2011

Liar, Liar.

Moving away a little from my usual posts - I thought this was interesting.

Liar, Liar - Book of the week on BBC Radio 4, Born Liars - Why we can't live without deceit.

Each weekday morning this past week I have been enjoying a 15 minute radio piece on the aforementioned book review. Author, Ian Leslie names and celebrates ten of the biggest fibbers in history........ well!

During research it became quite clear that most people lie at least twice a day, however most describe their lies as 'white lies' not meant to harm, deceive or cause concern. What also became obvious and revealing was contrary to stereotype great liars tend to be highly intelligent, sociable, charming and emphatic.

Some of the greatest liars highlighted are spy Kim Philby, politician Jonathan Aitken, former US President Bill Clinton, Investment Banker Bernie Madoff............ can you add any names to this list - well certainly I could name you a few, some I would describe as Walter Mitty type characters, some compulsive liars, some confidence tricksters and some described in my previous paragraph - simply lying B*******.

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment