Monday 6 June 2011

From the Archives 2

During a recent visit to the Newspaper Office in Belfast, I looked through the Newtownards Chronicle archives for the period around 1914.

Rather than retype the information, I felt it more authentic to photograph the paper - to give you a genuine feeling of what was being reported in the local newspaper.

I will leave it to your imagination to gauge the sway of public opinion at that time to the political situation - Home Rule Crisis - Rumour of War - National Pride.









This was what I was looking for - my Great Uncle William Anderson, I am tracing my family tree and here he is enlisting back then, sadly he was not to live to see the end of the war.









The newly enlisted men were medically examined at Newtownards Orange Hall 'The Hub' of community life at that time in Newtownards.

More to follow.

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment