Tuesday 16 November 2010

Cenotaph

Sunday morning 14th November 2010, I attended the Remembrance Service at the Civic Memorial to the Fallen - at the Cenotaph, Newtownards.

It was a crisp, clear and dry Sunday morning, ideal for a Memorial Service.

I could - if I wanted, take part in the Parade and Service; however I prefer to leave my experiences behind, whist still taking the time to remember the past in a quiet dignified way. I remember those that I had the great pleasure to serve with, some of the bravest people in Ulster, forgotten by many, used as a Political argument from time to time - but always remembered by those who worked though and made it through Ulster's darkest days.
-
I also had thoughts of my Great Uncle William, who died in the Great War, also of my Grandfather who was rescued from Dunkirk; he survived and was fortunate enough to make it through WW11.
-
I spent a little time chatting with Simon Hamilton MLA, + Jim Shannon MP - I enjoyed their company sharing our own personal thoughts on Remembrance Sunday.

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment