Thursday 11 April 2013

Movilla High School - In Remembrance


 
 

Movilla High School – ‘In Remembrance’

 
Today Thursday, I visited my old school – Movilla High School in Newtownards. I attended the school as a pupil from September 1975 through to June 1980. I was not the brightest pupil academically, I was more interested in football and cricket – with my two worst subjects were music and history.

 
Interesting that two ‘things’ that have dominated much of my life for the past 12 years has been……. yes, history and music. I am a bit of an amateur history buff particularly local history around Ards and the Ards Peninsula and I have been a music tutor for around 8 years. (so don’t predict your future by your chosen school subjects!)

 

Well, the purpose of my visit to Movilla High School was to meet with Mr. Peter Forbes, who is a teacher at the school. Peter has persuaded me (I volunteered) to assist in a very interesting and worthwhile project.

 
Peter, with the full support of colleagues and senior management is planning to erect a memorial to past pupils who have died in the service of their country, in the armed services - including Army, Navy, Air Force, Ulster Defence Regiment, Royal Ulster Constabulary incorporating the Police Service of Northern Ireland and the Northern Ireland Prison Service.

 
The plan is to have a memorial plaque placed within a mural (painted by the school art department) in the assembly hall as a mark of respect for those who died in all conflicts both foreign and domestic.

 
Movilla High School is very much part of the local community and has played a significant role in Newtownards over the last 80 years. I taught fife and drum in the school for around 3 years as well as assisting in a number of other projects - I as a an ex pupil wanted to put a little something back and if possible have a positive influence on the young people at the school.
 

My part in the project will be to research past school pupils who were murdered during the troubles as they served in the Royal Ulster Constabulary. I appreciate that this will be a very delicate and sensitive issue for family and friends of those killed, however if handled sympathetically it will be a fitting memorial to those who died.

 
If you read this article and know of any past pupil from Movilla School who may have been killed during the ‘Troubles’ or in other conflicts please contact Peter of Myself at the following e-mail addresses.

 

 

 

HMA
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment