Thursday 21 July 2011

Scrabo Walk

Today I parked my van at Mum’s – Greenwell Street N’ Ards and walked to Scrabo Tower and back!

Well many years ago when I attended Victoria Primary School we used to take part in ‘The Scrabo Run’ annually, there was also a ‘Scrabo Walk’ at that time. Everyone that took part met at the square and either ran or walked up to Scrabo Tower then ran back! It was a great event at which many, many folk took part.

Well, 30 years on, my running days left firmly in the past I decided to walk – with my trusted mutt Dudley. The route I choose was Greenwell Street, Londonderry Park, New Road, and Scrabo Road, straight up the Scrabo Hill face to the Tower – this took 55 minutes and boy when I got to the top was I out of breath, I had forgotten how steep the hill was! – Then 5 minute break.

Return walk round by the Quarry Face to the Scrabo Road, across 2 fields to Ards Rugby Grounds, across to Ards Allotments, then on to the Strangford Lough shore front, back to Londonderry Park to Greenwell Street – which took me 1hr 30 minutes.

Fantastic walk ‘in touch with nature’ type walk very enjoyable and relaxing.

Here are a few snaps from my outing – enjoy!


















HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment