Friday 11 June 2010

That time of the year again


Well, that time of the year again! A few of the lads got together tonight - to do what we say in the drumming word a 'bit of pullin'. We met at Ballyrobert Orange Hall to prepare a few drums for our Lambeg Drumming Evening that we are holding in Conlig Co. Down on Saturday night 12th June 2010.
-
My hands are raw - as the ropes are quite cutting, my hearing is impaired - just briefly, I'll be alright in the morning, as we played the drums for a few hours inside the hall - Madness.
-
But it was a great night, building the drums, pulling the drums, playing the drums but the icing on the cake - so to speak - was the fifing and drumming at the end of the night. Wee Geordie, Kyle, Stevie and myself, fifed several tunes - 100 pipers, Boy's of Belfast, The Girl I left Behind and Turkey in the Straw (Old Zip Coon) and Jackon's Return, to the drums - Fantastic.
-
You know you are fifing well when your fingers are bouncing off the note holes and the fife is screaming in your ear.
-
Not long to the 'Glorious Twelfth' - Can't wait!
-
Oops - I forgot to mention I had a very important meeting recently with a very prominent Politician, who was very interested in my job, my hobbies and Loughries Historical Society in particular - he mentioned or asked 'What qualifications do you need Mark to teach the lambeg drum?' I am too polite to say what I felt at the time and mentioned that no qualifications were needed - more experience etc. But there are two fundaamental qualifications that you need when teaching or playing the Lambeg Drum and they are - Yes, a strong back and a weak mind!
-
HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment