Sunday 15 August 2010

Royal Black Institution


For me the Royal Black Institution of the British Commonwealth is the best, very traditional and most respected of the so called ‘Marching Orders’. My Preceptory is Ards Chosen Few RBP 290, encamped in Newtownards Co. Down, with the Preceptory being constituted in 1899, this is our 111 year - or in Newton speak, yin, yin, yin.
-
I have been a member of the Institution for 28 years and each year I look forward to this parade more than any other. In 2008 I had the great honour to be installed as Newtownards Royal Black District Chapter No 11’s District Master. There are 13 Preceptories in the District stretching from Six Road End, down one side of the Peninsula, back up the other side, into Newtownards and in to Conlig – in all around 600 members, with accompanying bands around 1,200 members on parade. Quite a responsibility I can tell you, but an experience I will remember for many years.
-
My family have been members of the Institution for generations and I am the first to have been District Master, I know my late father Blakely was very proud; he too was a member of RBP 290 for over 30 years.
-
During my year in office I had the privilege and pleasure to unveil a new District Bannerette, here is a photo of the Bannerette and some of my fellow District Officers – my I look so young.
-
This year the Co. Down Demonstration will be held in Newcastle, a parade I remember 26 years ago! Northern Ireland is a very different place since then and hopefully our parade will be welcomed by the people of Newcastle and we as visitors will act with respect & decorum and leave this beautiful town as we find it - and importantly not to bring discredit on our beloved Institution.
-
HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment