Sunday 25 April 2010

Ulster Scots - Schools

As usual this week I will be visiting schools throughout Ulster, bringing the Ulster Scots message through their doors. A steady increase of schools seeking Ulster Scots material are coming on board weekly, in fact demand has already outstripped supply.

Since the Easter break I have been able to take on 3 additional schools, my diary is filled to capacity - I don't mind this at all. The 3 new schools are Longstone P.S in Ahoghill, Kilrea P.S. and Cumber Claudy, all three are seeking Lambeg Drum and tin whistle tuition.

Each week I attend 13 schools, teaching Lambeg Drum, Fife and tin whistle and I always like to introduce a little Ulster Scots history and a basic language quiz - as I take my music lessons. It is all great fun and has added a new and different element of interest into the school.

It would be fair comment to suggest that all the schools that I attend have a great interest in Ulster Scots, and are increasingly interested in Music, History, Language, Dance etc. The schools seem to prepare a package of Ulster Scots activities, rather than a single element like language or history - but a mixture of all elements gets the children and teachers excited and interested.

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment