Monday 5 April 2010

Tenebrae Service - Service of the Shadows 2

Well, Friday night was a wonderful Religious Service. The Presbyterian Church in Portaferry was almost full to capacity for the Service of the Shadows.

I went down for a practice, 1 hour before the service with the Rev. Grey. He was very calm and assured - he had been interviewed on Radio Ulster earlier that afternoon to promote the event, I declined. That concluded we retired to the old School House for tea, coffee and a light supper.

I returned to the Church to get Prudence, (my drum) ready. I sat patiently watching all the folk arrive - it was quite a surprise to see so many people that I knew! Then at 730pm precisely, the service commenced with choir then readings the whole way through the service - for around an hour, it became my turn - I played what was needed and the service ended in complete silence, wonderful. I have to say I had never been to a Religious Service like that one before - I did find it very, very moving.

It truly was a magnificent service a lot of hard work had gone on in the background to make this service a success, so congratulation to Neil McClure, the Church Officials, Organist, Walter Love and the Choir. Across the road thanks to the caterers, for an excellent supper/s.

If a service like this one comes your, way make sure you get to be there - it is a great and humbling experience.

HMA

No comments:

Post a Comment